Skip to main content

A Snail's Pace

The CCAA has updated their website again announcing that families with log-in dates through November 25, 2005 have been matched with their children. This means that in the last month they've only matched 4 days of LID's. I read on a blog recently that they've only matched 4 months of LID's in the last year. Considering there are almost exactly 7 months from the last date matched to our log-in date of June 23, 2006, we could be looking at 21 months from now to referral (i.e. being matched with our daughter) if nothing changes. That would be a total referral wait of nearly 3 years!!!! -Not to mention the 6 months it took us from starting the process to our dossier being logged in with the CCAA.

WOW. We never imagined this scenario, and our agency certainly did not prepare us for this. In fact, they gave us a projected referral timeline of 6 months when we started the process, and when I questioned this early on after reading some rumors on the web, they revised it to 9 months. If this had held true, we would have finalized our adoption this past May. It's difficult to accept that we will likely not see our daughter's face until the spring of 2009, and each month that the CCAA doesn't speed up the process, the backlog of families waiting gets larger and the timeline gets longer. I don't even want to think about how long it will take if the process slows down even more.

To make matters worse, our adoption documents are expiring, so we're having to deal with homestudy updates, including new criminal record checks and medical reports and references and another home visit. We also have to make the dreaded trip back to the U.S. Citizenship & Immigration Office in Charlotte to be fingerprinted again. And if we haven't traveled to China in another 18 months, which based on the data above is pretty likely, we'll get to do all of this a 3rd time.

So I'm angry. I don't really know with whom I'm angry. I just am. How can I not be? How can I resolve any of this in my head or heart? If I truly believed that infant abandonments in China were rapidly decreasing, I could accept the wait more easily, but from what I've read this simply is not the case. All I can say is thank God for chinaadopttalk.com (the site of the "Rumor Queen" who has adopted 2 daughters from China and somehow has access to more China adoption information than most) - if it wasn't for her, I'd be totally in the dark and even angrier. At least I have some idea of what to expect at this point.

I have said from the beginning that I trust in the order of things, and if I didn't I might have already hung up my hat. I believe our daughter, while she may not yet be in this world, is going to be born in China, and we are going to find our way to her. I have to keep believing this - for her and for us.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I am always praying that things will speed up for you guys! I can only imagine how angry you are...it has been a long time. Like I have said before...you are much stronger of a person than me. I respect you and Chris more and more each day and truly look forward to the day that we hear the fantastic news...Kathryn and Chris are off to China to get Noelle!!! What a blessing that will be, but until then I will keep praying for you!

I love you,
Rach

Popular posts from this blog

One Year Ago Today...

The most amazing thing happened on this date one year ago - our son found his way to us. cc, we celebrate you today and every day. You are an incredible gift, and we love you with our whole hearts. Thank you for the immense joy you have brought to our lives just in your first year of life. We feel so lucky to be your parents, and we look forward to all that is to come for our family. cc celebrated his first birthday last Tuesday, and we had a super fun party for him on Sunday. We had a birthday cake decorated with a puppy dog and balloons from Whole Foods that was beautiful and delicious, and we had 50 balloons that provided quite a bit of excitement for the kids. Those in attendance were all the little ones from his neighborhood play group, some of our dearest friends and their children, all the grands, several aunts and uncles, and cousins Savannah, Byers and Stacy. We took lots of pictures and video (who knows when it will all be downloaded and organized) and made some great ...

Moving Right Along

I have several pieces of very happy news: First of all, we are getting closer and closer to becoming cc's forever family. Recently our social worker said for the first time that we are being considered for his permanent placement. Hooray!!!!!! Chris and I squeezed each other's hand so hard when we heard this. What a relief. We're almost there, cc! Another exciting turn of events is that cc has begun sleeping through the night recently. He doesn't do it every night, but if he wakes up it's around 4am after having been asleep since about 7pm, and so we've gotten some good solid sleep by this point. If he wakes up before 5:30am, we're able to give him a bottle and then he'll go back down until 7am or so. If he wakes up around 5:30, he's often up for a couple of hours. So I actually can't decide which I prefer. I'm not exactly a morning person, though having a baby certainly forces you to try to be one. Either way, he's doing so we...

Springtime Babies

Posting pix is all I have time for these days! Hope you enjoy... (Note regarding a previous post: To go private, I have to enter the email addresses of everyone who wants to continue viewing the blog. Until I can find the time to do it I'm just going to upload pix of cc that preserve his identity in keeping with the foster care regulations. We are well on our way to adoption, but it could take quite a bit longer simply because of paperwork backlogs, and I would certainly not want to jeopardize anything. In the meantime if you haven't already let me know, please email me or post a comment if you'd like to maintain access to the blog. Thanks!) Happy Girl Strawberry Pickin' Easter Bonnet A Very Good Nana