Skip to main content

Final Countdown!

I'm now just over a week away from my due date, which is Valentine's Day. Miss Evan Rose will be here very soon! We feel ready, though we still need to do a few things like install her car seat. As of today I'm riding around with a towel in the seat in case my water breaks. I seem to be having a little trickling of amniotic fluid, which is exciting, but I guess it could be awhile yet before I actually go into labor. While I'm pretty uncomfortable, I'm enjoying these last days of pregnancy.

We have prepared cc as best we can. How much can you really prepare an 11-month-old? We just give him lots of tlc (nothing different there) and his dada now sleeps with him every night on a twin mattress in his room. We figure we'll each sleep with a child for awhile. No biggie. We attempted forcing him to sleep alone a few months back, but it just didn't work. None of us were getting sleep, cc seemed traumatized, and we decided it just wasn't worth it. I really appreciated one of the cover articles from last month's Mothering Magazine - "Who Wants to Sleep Alone?" I've decided cc's nighttime anxiety is just normal stuff, and I'd rather he know we're going to respond to his needs than to feel abandoned. I know many people are adamant that babies should sleep alone, and it would certainly be nice if cc was one of those easy sleepers (we tried so hard to set the stage for peaceful nights right from the start), but he just isn't, so we're doing what works for him and us right now.

I had the loveliest baby shower last month given by my sister, Rachel, my sister-in-law, Megan, and dear friends Kat, Andrea and Lucy. It was at Lucy's house, and everything was perfect. We had a great turnout, cc and Chris were there for part of it, the food was delicious, and we received so many wonderful gifts for both children, including a number of handmade items. I was also presented with Noelle's quilt, which Kat pieced together. It is absolutely beautiful. I will upload a few pix soon. I actually don't have any from the shower on my camera, but my sister took some that I will share.

I'm going to wrap up for now so I'll have a few minutes to just sit before cc wakes up. The next post should be a fun one!!

P.S. I can't believe I forgot to report that we now have a walker!! He is one busy fellow.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Our youngest child was not and still is not an "easy" sleeper. She has always slept with us...although now at age 6, we have begun to make her sleep in her own room, but I still lie with her until she is totally and completely asleep. She will get up and come in our room from time to time and we totally allow it. She suffers from nightmares and I refuse to allow her to be scared. If she feels she needs to sleep with us, we let her. She is still young and I can not and will not force her to sleep alone if she is scared. It is a good thing you are doing not allowing CC to sleep alone if he is not ready. Some people need that closeness just as others do not. I agree with what you are doing and also agree that it is normal stuff. You can never tell how a child will react to sleeping alone----your daughter may be one that goes right to sleep alone and not need you as much...just keep on doing what you are doing. :)

Good luck with all that is to come! It is a very exciting time.

Kim B. Taylor
Kathryn said…
Thank you for sharing, Kim!! I greatly appreciate the encouragement and knowing others we respect agree. :)
Amanda said…
Congratulations! I can't wait to read the post where we "meet" her :-)
Anonymous said…
It was so fun seeing you at the shower! Good luck with everything. One thing that I have learned after 3 kids is that you will always eat your words. Every baby, child and parent is different so what works for one doesn't always work for the other. Just do what you can to keep the peace!!! I can't wait to see pictures of your sweet baby girl.
Anonymous said…
Congrats, Kathryn! I'm so excited for you and Chris and cc and all that is to come for you. I wish for you a happy, healthy delivery. I can't wait to hear that your sweet little girl has been welcomed into your lives.

ALl the best,
Katherine Peel McEwen
Amanda said…
Hope that you and your newest addition (who should be here by now!) are doing well :-)

Popular posts from this blog

One Year Ago Today...

The most amazing thing happened on this date one year ago - our son found his way to us. cc, we celebrate you today and every day. You are an incredible gift, and we love you with our whole hearts. Thank you for the immense joy you have brought to our lives just in your first year of life. We feel so lucky to be your parents, and we look forward to all that is to come for our family. cc celebrated his first birthday last Tuesday, and we had a super fun party for him on Sunday. We had a birthday cake decorated with a puppy dog and balloons from Whole Foods that was beautiful and delicious, and we had 50 balloons that provided quite a bit of excitement for the kids. Those in attendance were all the little ones from his neighborhood play group, some of our dearest friends and their children, all the grands, several aunts and uncles, and cousins Savannah, Byers and Stacy. We took lots of pictures and video (who knows when it will all be downloaded and organized) and made some great ...

Moving Right Along

I have several pieces of very happy news: First of all, we are getting closer and closer to becoming cc's forever family. Recently our social worker said for the first time that we are being considered for his permanent placement. Hooray!!!!!! Chris and I squeezed each other's hand so hard when we heard this. What a relief. We're almost there, cc! Another exciting turn of events is that cc has begun sleeping through the night recently. He doesn't do it every night, but if he wakes up it's around 4am after having been asleep since about 7pm, and so we've gotten some good solid sleep by this point. If he wakes up before 5:30am, we're able to give him a bottle and then he'll go back down until 7am or so. If he wakes up around 5:30, he's often up for a couple of hours. So I actually can't decide which I prefer. I'm not exactly a morning person, though having a baby certainly forces you to try to be one. Either way, he's doing so we...

Springtime Babies

Posting pix is all I have time for these days! Hope you enjoy... (Note regarding a previous post: To go private, I have to enter the email addresses of everyone who wants to continue viewing the blog. Until I can find the time to do it I'm just going to upload pix of cc that preserve his identity in keeping with the foster care regulations. We are well on our way to adoption, but it could take quite a bit longer simply because of paperwork backlogs, and I would certainly not want to jeopardize anything. In the meantime if you haven't already let me know, please email me or post a comment if you'd like to maintain access to the blog. Thanks!) Happy Girl Strawberry Pickin' Easter Bonnet A Very Good Nana