Yes, Chris and I found out that cc will be getting a sister in February! We honestly couldn't believe it when the ultrasound technician gave us the news a couple of weeks ago - due to the multitude of men in Chris' family. A few people have pointed out to us recently that this really doesn't have anything to do with determining sex, so I've only been misinformed about this for the last 15 years or so! We've always thought we'd have boys if we were able to have kids biologically. Funny how life happens. We feel incredibly blessed and excited about having a boy AND a girl, who may be followed shortly thereafter by another girl! Yes, we're still pursuing our China adoption, and as you can imagine these days we're OK with the wait. :) We're thinking she'll come to us in 2010, but as always we really have no idea when.
I can't believe I'm halfway through my pregnancy. We have so much to do before this little girl makes her grand entrance. Right now her room is full of baby boy clothes that I've just cleaned out of cc's room, as well as maternity clothes, baby gear that cc has outgrown, and some items my sister recently sent like a Moses basket. Chris and I have been using the closet and drawer space in that bedroom since we bought the house in '04, so we've obviously got some cleaning out and reorganizing to do. Then of course we have to set up her nursery (the fun part:). I don't think this will take a lot of time because we have a crib from my sister, and we'll use the chest of drawers and dresser that are currently in the room, the latter of which will serve as a changing table. I'm not sure where the heck we'll store the bed, so we have to figure that out, and I need to pick out crib bedding (the most fun part!) and get curtains that actually block out light. The room is already painted a pale pink and will definitely stay as is. So it's not a big task before us, but it's just one of many tasks, all of which are difficult to accomplish when you have another baby (who is currently calling....I'll be right back!).
2nd trimester has definitely been better, but I can't say I've had the "glory days" about which I've heard other moms speak. I've had cramping off and on the past few days, which probably isn't a big deal - I think I actually just need to drink more water - but my mind has been going to wild places. (I desperately need to get back to my yoga mat on a more consistent basis.) I've also had some pretty bad headaches, maybe even a few migraines which I'm not sure I've ever had before. I actually canceled yoga class a couple of weeks back because I was in bed with a headache. Again, I'm probably not drinking enough water. I had lost my Klean Kanteen stainless steel water bottle, which I finally replaced last weekend, so I really don't have an excuse other than just being busy and forgetting.
People are already asking us about names, and we honestly have no clue what this child will be called. We don't plan to tell anyway, but it could literally be the day of her birth before we decide. There is an old-fashioned name that Chris likes when it's shortened, but I'm just not so sure. It's one we've tossed around before, but none of the names we've talked about in the past are speaking to me this time around. I'm really hoping it's going to come to us as easily as it has with naming our dogs, though my step-mother-in-law, Jackie, said I should probably put more thought into it than that. ;) cc came to us with a name, though we plan to change his middle name once we adopt him. I'd really like to name him after Chris, so that's pretty easy, and Noelle will be named after me (Noelle was my middle name before marriage), and we plan to use her Chinese name as her middle name - so again, pretty easy. It's not so easy with this one, but I trust that the perfect name will come in due time, hopefully prior to the day of her birth. During the tour at the birth center it was mentioned that they recently had to change a name on a birth certificate 4 times! I am determined that will not be our situation.
I think this little girl is going to be busy like her brother, though I certainly wouldn't mind her being a little more laid back! I started feeling her at 17 weeks. I wasn't positive in the beginning because it seemed I was always holding cc when I thought I felt her, but it's become really clear over the last few weeks. She was also very busy during the ultrasound at 18 weeks. I wonder if she was irritated by it as that was my 4th one. Plus, it took a long time, and the tech seemed to keep poking at her. Bless her little heart. While I loved seeing her on the screen, I'm glad that was the last one for her sake. Now she can just enjoy the peace and quiet of my womb....of course that might depend on how much and how often she can hear her brother crying - and feel him rolling all over my belly! I guess she may as well get used to it now.
Speaking of her big brother, I have definitely felt some guilt about how young cc will be when his sister joins the fam. It's not like we planned it that way, but I'm already grieving some over how my time will be split just as he is entering the walking and talking stage. I just hope I don't miss any of his really special "first" moments - or hers for that matter. I know I'm going to have to rely on Chris and other family members much more than I do now. It's going to be hard for cc and for me AND for his daddy! Chris has been wonderful about taking cc when he gets home from work and sharing nighttime parenting, but I'm still the primary nurturer and generally the one that cc wants when he's unhappy, which makes sense being that I'm home with him. I know everything will be fine, and perhaps because cc will be so young, the transition will actually be easier than I'm expecting. I really hope so. But enough projecting worries into the future - so silly. This is all happening perfectly.
I have so much more to say and share about what cc, Chris and I have been up to, but I'm exhausted and heading to bed. More to come soon!
I can't believe I'm halfway through my pregnancy. We have so much to do before this little girl makes her grand entrance. Right now her room is full of baby boy clothes that I've just cleaned out of cc's room, as well as maternity clothes, baby gear that cc has outgrown, and some items my sister recently sent like a Moses basket. Chris and I have been using the closet and drawer space in that bedroom since we bought the house in '04, so we've obviously got some cleaning out and reorganizing to do. Then of course we have to set up her nursery (the fun part:). I don't think this will take a lot of time because we have a crib from my sister, and we'll use the chest of drawers and dresser that are currently in the room, the latter of which will serve as a changing table. I'm not sure where the heck we'll store the bed, so we have to figure that out, and I need to pick out crib bedding (the most fun part!) and get curtains that actually block out light. The room is already painted a pale pink and will definitely stay as is. So it's not a big task before us, but it's just one of many tasks, all of which are difficult to accomplish when you have another baby (who is currently calling....I'll be right back!).
2nd trimester has definitely been better, but I can't say I've had the "glory days" about which I've heard other moms speak. I've had cramping off and on the past few days, which probably isn't a big deal - I think I actually just need to drink more water - but my mind has been going to wild places. (I desperately need to get back to my yoga mat on a more consistent basis.) I've also had some pretty bad headaches, maybe even a few migraines which I'm not sure I've ever had before. I actually canceled yoga class a couple of weeks back because I was in bed with a headache. Again, I'm probably not drinking enough water. I had lost my Klean Kanteen stainless steel water bottle, which I finally replaced last weekend, so I really don't have an excuse other than just being busy and forgetting.
People are already asking us about names, and we honestly have no clue what this child will be called. We don't plan to tell anyway, but it could literally be the day of her birth before we decide. There is an old-fashioned name that Chris likes when it's shortened, but I'm just not so sure. It's one we've tossed around before, but none of the names we've talked about in the past are speaking to me this time around. I'm really hoping it's going to come to us as easily as it has with naming our dogs, though my step-mother-in-law, Jackie, said I should probably put more thought into it than that. ;) cc came to us with a name, though we plan to change his middle name once we adopt him. I'd really like to name him after Chris, so that's pretty easy, and Noelle will be named after me (Noelle was my middle name before marriage), and we plan to use her Chinese name as her middle name - so again, pretty easy. It's not so easy with this one, but I trust that the perfect name will come in due time, hopefully prior to the day of her birth. During the tour at the birth center it was mentioned that they recently had to change a name on a birth certificate 4 times! I am determined that will not be our situation.
I think this little girl is going to be busy like her brother, though I certainly wouldn't mind her being a little more laid back! I started feeling her at 17 weeks. I wasn't positive in the beginning because it seemed I was always holding cc when I thought I felt her, but it's become really clear over the last few weeks. She was also very busy during the ultrasound at 18 weeks. I wonder if she was irritated by it as that was my 4th one. Plus, it took a long time, and the tech seemed to keep poking at her. Bless her little heart. While I loved seeing her on the screen, I'm glad that was the last one for her sake. Now she can just enjoy the peace and quiet of my womb....of course that might depend on how much and how often she can hear her brother crying - and feel him rolling all over my belly! I guess she may as well get used to it now.
Speaking of her big brother, I have definitely felt some guilt about how young cc will be when his sister joins the fam. It's not like we planned it that way, but I'm already grieving some over how my time will be split just as he is entering the walking and talking stage. I just hope I don't miss any of his really special "first" moments - or hers for that matter. I know I'm going to have to rely on Chris and other family members much more than I do now. It's going to be hard for cc and for me AND for his daddy! Chris has been wonderful about taking cc when he gets home from work and sharing nighttime parenting, but I'm still the primary nurturer and generally the one that cc wants when he's unhappy, which makes sense being that I'm home with him. I know everything will be fine, and perhaps because cc will be so young, the transition will actually be easier than I'm expecting. I really hope so. But enough projecting worries into the future - so silly. This is all happening perfectly.
I have so much more to say and share about what cc, Chris and I have been up to, but I'm exhausted and heading to bed. More to come soon!
Comments
I am so glad you and Chris are doing so well. Life just has a way of working itself out in the perfect way it should. I believe that God has a way of providing in His time and that all we have to do is trust that things will work out!!! It's great to read about how you guys are doing and your happiness just jumps off the screen.
I enjoy reading your blog and keeping up with how you and Chris are doing. I wish you a healthy and wonderful second and third trimester and also a fast and easy delivery! (don't let other people's labor stories scare you, it really isn't that bad---I had both of mine without drugs and in less than three hours)
Best wishes to all three of you and to belly baby girl!! :)
Kim Billups Taylor
Just went out to catch up and this is a great way to keep everyone in the loop of what is going on. Golly I can't believe it's been, what 3 years since I've last seen you all and look at everything that has transpired since that trip.
I'm glad to hear your pregnancy is going good.
Are you registered anywhere?
Miss you both!!!
Hugs & Kisses
Cristy L