I usually reserve this blog for updates on my family, adoption and fostering topics, and parenting miscellaneous, and sometimes I use it just to journal. So why you might ask have I decided to post something political? I happen to think it's extremely relevant to being a mother and to my children's future. I hope you'll keep reading...
I grew up in a small, rural community that was very racially segregated and still is today. There was a large countywide public school system that was predominantly black and a very small, private K-12 school, where probably 98% of the white kids went, myself included. My parents said the education was better there, which certainly brought up questions for me, such as why the whites got to have a better education. (Later in a college education course I heard my school referred to as a "white flight" school, a phrase that was foreign to me until that time and has haunted me ever since.) While the county was largely black, I had no black friends growing up, and the only black people I saw on a regular basis were my dad's farm workers and our housekeeper. There was a notable difference in social class between the whites and blacks in my community--Many black people lived below the poverty line, but the majority of whites were middle to upper middle class. All of this seemed wrong to me, especially as I grew older, but it was the way of life in my small town, and as a kid I simply accepted it for what it was.
Very rarely did I hear anyone talk about politics, and I knew very little about the political parties until college. I do remember being asked in my high school political science class to which party my parents belonged. I thought they were Democrats, but I was unsure, and one of my friends chided, "Kathryn, of course they're Republicans - the Democratic Party is for black people." This statement offended me deeply, but the truth is I was accustomed to hearing racist comments, and I'm ashamed to say that I didn't respond. I did ask my mother that night if she and my father were Republicans or Democrats, and I was satisfied to hear her say they were Democrats; however, she also informed me that a lot of people in our community were registered as Democrats so they could vote in the primaries, but that most voted for Republican presidents. I didn't understand at the time, but I would later.
I was lucky to befriend some very smart, politically savvy women from other states during college. They sometimes talked politics, though not usually in front of our friends that grew up in the same state that I did. I remember once actually being offended upon hearing one of these "out-of-staters" criticize our Republican senator, even though I had taken a state history class at my large public liberal arts college, during which my eyes had been opened very wide (history class at my tiny high school was not exactly the full history). I had learned about the racist tactics this senator had employed during his political campaigns and prior to that as a TV and radio personality. I can't really explain why I was offended by her attack on him. I think I felt personally criticized somehow simply because he represented my state--Ridiculous, I know, but I guess my small mind just hadn't yet fully opened to the big picture. The crazy part is I knew she was right, and I agreed with her. The ideals she spoke about as a Democrat were MY IDEALS. Over a relatively short period of time during an intense period of learning and growth I became certain the Democratic Party was my party, but I remained a "closet Democrat" for a while longer.
I share all of this about my early life because I think my story is common across rural America, but I was fortunate to be exposed to new ideas and different kinds of people during college and afterward in my work, which opened up my whole world. I learned how to think critically, to go beyond the surface, to ask why. I also had a mother who modeled compassion and respect for all people (all creatures actually) and who had the depth of character to imagine herself in another's shoes. She rooted for the underdog, and she encouraged me to befriend everyone I met. I never heard her criticize or make fun of anybody for being different. My mom has never been outspoken, and that's not a trait I developed either, but in her own quiet way she made a difference in many lives, including mine. I'm very proud to say that this small-town baby boomer is an Obama supporter, just like her daughter!
So while my early story may be common, I was fortunate to have opportunities and experiences that allowed me to move beyond a narrow mindset about the world. That's not the case for so many people, who never learn to question and end up perpetuating the same stereotypes to which they've been exposed their whole lives. I know from experience that the stranglehold of the status quo with which one grows up can be very hard to break free from, even when you know it's wrong. While I deeply miss my own hometown, I've distanced myself from my roots over the years because it's so much easier to be my own person in a larger city, where diverse people live and work. Peer pressure, whether you're young or old, is no small thing. I joined Facebook recently and am amazed by how few people actually list their political affiliation, but I understand. I understand not wanting to make waves as I am certainly not one for confrontation; however, unless we open up the conversation we will forever be a divided country. This is why I feel compelled to speak out during this election.
I believe there are so many Americans who grew up learning to vote a particular way without ever really knowing why, and they simply do the same thing today without being fully aware of the far-reaching implications and effects of their choices. Actually, I know this to be true. I see the forwarded emails that aren't based in logic and fact, but in fear and "he said she said," and I have like-minded friends who say they have gotten similar emails from relatives. It's a cultural phenomenon that is so ingrained it doesn't occur to people to question what's really happening in their party, or to actually read the other candidate's plan. They're just "against Obama," and they don't really have any idea why. They're so busy pushing AGAINST something that seems a little too different on the outside that they don't even know what they're FOR. In reality they may be voting against the very ideals in which they, too, believe because they've been taught that "their people" vote the other way.
I believe that racism and other harmful prejudices continue to be perpetuated by various institutions in our society, including the Republican Party, sometimes blatantly (Fox "News") and sometimes masked (e.g. as "family values"). That is certainly not to say that everyone in the Republican Party is racist or prejudiced in some way, but I do believe that this is the party to which intolerant people tend to flock. I think Republican leaders know this, and whether they agree with them or not, they use these constituents' fears to get their votes rather than taking the opportunity to educate. To me this is such a tragedy because I believe people have prejudices, not because they're not inherently good (some of the best people I know have seemingly unknowingly displayed prejudice in front of me), but simply because they've never really known anyone who is different, and they've been taught throughout their lives to be fearful of that which is different. [The dictionary.com definition of "prejudice" states: "Prejudice is socially learned and is usually grounded in misconception, misunderstanding, and inflexible generalizations."] It deeply saddens me that in the 21st century so many Americans don't understand that they have nothing to fear from the vast majority of their fellow law-abiding citizens. We live in a country founded upon freedom, and I think every American wants to uphold that freedom. It's past time we put an end to the dirty politics of fear-mongering.
I realize no one wants to believe that racism, in particular, is still so widespread, but frankly I think it remains America's ugly secret. I actually received a racist joke in an email this summer about Obama becoming president. And that certainly was not an isolated incident. I think this kind of thing is happening all across America out of the public eye. I'm not sure how many people realize that some Americans, perhaps a large number, actually believe the rumor that Obama is a secretly practicing Muslim. [Aside: The notion that being Muslim should exclude him from the Presidency is certainly rife with bigotry in and of itself, but I understand Americans aren't ready to elect a non-Christian President--What is so ridiculous is that in this election it should be a non-issue because Obama is Christian!) The misinformation will continue to spread like wildfire out of the spotlight if people like me with a foot in both worlds don't stand up and say something. While I'm still not comfortable talking about politics face-to-face, the least I can do is share my perspective in writing.
So why am I a Democrat?
In a nutshell, I want my children to grow up in a society that truly embraces and celebrates diversity and values ALL people - rich or poor, white or Hispanic, heterosexual or homosexual, Christian or agnostic, healthy or sick, male or female, American-born or immigrant. I want my biracial son and Asian daughter to have the same opportunities as the white child I'm carrying and my daughters to have the same opportunities as my son. I don't want my children to face discrimination or racism or bigotry of any kind, and it horrifies me to know that based on experiences shared by minorities all over this country that it will almost definitely happen at some point in their lives. We've come a long way, but we still have a mountain of hurdles to cross and hurts to heal in this great land of ours, and in my lifetime it's been the Democrats that have taken on the hard work of change to create a more tolerant, just society.
From my perspective, the Republicans have long stood for the status quo, against positive change and the natural evolutionary course of things. The status quo is wrong for my family, and it's wrong for our country, which was founded on the principles of tolerance, equality and justice for all, along with the promise of a better tomorrow. We CAN do better for everyone, whether on the issues of healthcare, tax relief, education, housing, jobs, the plight of women and of veterans, or assistance for rural communities, just to name a few. That's what Barack Obama believes, and I know he will work for ALL Americans. He will strengthen and unite us, and we will be a better people as a result.
Furthermore, I'm a Democrat because I believe environmental issues, from global climate change to land conservation, must be top priority. I've been passing along information about our environmental perils for a very long time. This is another issue most Republicans just don't seem to get and some actually deny, even though "green speak" is now commonplace in the media, in the marketplace, in the scientific community, in schools, in churches, all over America and throughout the world. The actions of many Republican leaders on the environment go beyond reckless in their efforts to back corporate America. Once again the status quo is at play--Let's not upset the apple cart for God's sake, even if our very way of life is at stake! (Sarcasm intended.)
There are many reasons I’m a Democrat, but for me equality and the environment (which are obviously incredibly broad and touch on so many issues) are the hot-button ones, and I know Barack Obama has the right plan to get us back on track. I keep hearing Obama detractors say he talks about change, but doesn't have a plan. That's just not true. Please read for yourself at www.barackobama.com. This man is super smart (I think we all know that matters by now, right?), and he knows what he's doing. My husband recently said, "I don't want someone in the White House who is just like me - I want someone smarter!" We both believe Barack Obama will be one of the best Presidents this country and the world have ever seen.
If you don't understand the issues and are leaning toward voting Republican simply because you or your family or your friends always have, or because you've fallen prey to the fear-mongering, I urge you to educate yourself and have the courage to break away from the status quo. If you educate yourself, and you still believe John McCain will make a better President, then vote as you will. I can't argue if you've done your homework, and I understand that some people will support the Republican Party no matter what. But if you don't read something that's actually true before November, then please, for the sake of our country, especially our children, PLEASE stay home on election day.
Thank you.
I grew up in a small, rural community that was very racially segregated and still is today. There was a large countywide public school system that was predominantly black and a very small, private K-12 school, where probably 98% of the white kids went, myself included. My parents said the education was better there, which certainly brought up questions for me, such as why the whites got to have a better education. (Later in a college education course I heard my school referred to as a "white flight" school, a phrase that was foreign to me until that time and has haunted me ever since.) While the county was largely black, I had no black friends growing up, and the only black people I saw on a regular basis were my dad's farm workers and our housekeeper. There was a notable difference in social class between the whites and blacks in my community--Many black people lived below the poverty line, but the majority of whites were middle to upper middle class. All of this seemed wrong to me, especially as I grew older, but it was the way of life in my small town, and as a kid I simply accepted it for what it was.
Very rarely did I hear anyone talk about politics, and I knew very little about the political parties until college. I do remember being asked in my high school political science class to which party my parents belonged. I thought they were Democrats, but I was unsure, and one of my friends chided, "Kathryn, of course they're Republicans - the Democratic Party is for black people." This statement offended me deeply, but the truth is I was accustomed to hearing racist comments, and I'm ashamed to say that I didn't respond. I did ask my mother that night if she and my father were Republicans or Democrats, and I was satisfied to hear her say they were Democrats; however, she also informed me that a lot of people in our community were registered as Democrats so they could vote in the primaries, but that most voted for Republican presidents. I didn't understand at the time, but I would later.
I was lucky to befriend some very smart, politically savvy women from other states during college. They sometimes talked politics, though not usually in front of our friends that grew up in the same state that I did. I remember once actually being offended upon hearing one of these "out-of-staters" criticize our Republican senator, even though I had taken a state history class at my large public liberal arts college, during which my eyes had been opened very wide (history class at my tiny high school was not exactly the full history). I had learned about the racist tactics this senator had employed during his political campaigns and prior to that as a TV and radio personality. I can't really explain why I was offended by her attack on him. I think I felt personally criticized somehow simply because he represented my state--Ridiculous, I know, but I guess my small mind just hadn't yet fully opened to the big picture. The crazy part is I knew she was right, and I agreed with her. The ideals she spoke about as a Democrat were MY IDEALS. Over a relatively short period of time during an intense period of learning and growth I became certain the Democratic Party was my party, but I remained a "closet Democrat" for a while longer.
I share all of this about my early life because I think my story is common across rural America, but I was fortunate to be exposed to new ideas and different kinds of people during college and afterward in my work, which opened up my whole world. I learned how to think critically, to go beyond the surface, to ask why. I also had a mother who modeled compassion and respect for all people (all creatures actually) and who had the depth of character to imagine herself in another's shoes. She rooted for the underdog, and she encouraged me to befriend everyone I met. I never heard her criticize or make fun of anybody for being different. My mom has never been outspoken, and that's not a trait I developed either, but in her own quiet way she made a difference in many lives, including mine. I'm very proud to say that this small-town baby boomer is an Obama supporter, just like her daughter!
So while my early story may be common, I was fortunate to have opportunities and experiences that allowed me to move beyond a narrow mindset about the world. That's not the case for so many people, who never learn to question and end up perpetuating the same stereotypes to which they've been exposed their whole lives. I know from experience that the stranglehold of the status quo with which one grows up can be very hard to break free from, even when you know it's wrong. While I deeply miss my own hometown, I've distanced myself from my roots over the years because it's so much easier to be my own person in a larger city, where diverse people live and work. Peer pressure, whether you're young or old, is no small thing. I joined Facebook recently and am amazed by how few people actually list their political affiliation, but I understand. I understand not wanting to make waves as I am certainly not one for confrontation; however, unless we open up the conversation we will forever be a divided country. This is why I feel compelled to speak out during this election.
I believe there are so many Americans who grew up learning to vote a particular way without ever really knowing why, and they simply do the same thing today without being fully aware of the far-reaching implications and effects of their choices. Actually, I know this to be true. I see the forwarded emails that aren't based in logic and fact, but in fear and "he said she said," and I have like-minded friends who say they have gotten similar emails from relatives. It's a cultural phenomenon that is so ingrained it doesn't occur to people to question what's really happening in their party, or to actually read the other candidate's plan. They're just "against Obama," and they don't really have any idea why. They're so busy pushing AGAINST something that seems a little too different on the outside that they don't even know what they're FOR. In reality they may be voting against the very ideals in which they, too, believe because they've been taught that "their people" vote the other way.
I believe that racism and other harmful prejudices continue to be perpetuated by various institutions in our society, including the Republican Party, sometimes blatantly (Fox "News") and sometimes masked (e.g. as "family values"). That is certainly not to say that everyone in the Republican Party is racist or prejudiced in some way, but I do believe that this is the party to which intolerant people tend to flock. I think Republican leaders know this, and whether they agree with them or not, they use these constituents' fears to get their votes rather than taking the opportunity to educate. To me this is such a tragedy because I believe people have prejudices, not because they're not inherently good (some of the best people I know have seemingly unknowingly displayed prejudice in front of me), but simply because they've never really known anyone who is different, and they've been taught throughout their lives to be fearful of that which is different. [The dictionary.com definition of "prejudice" states: "Prejudice is socially learned and is usually grounded in misconception, misunderstanding, and inflexible generalizations."] It deeply saddens me that in the 21st century so many Americans don't understand that they have nothing to fear from the vast majority of their fellow law-abiding citizens. We live in a country founded upon freedom, and I think every American wants to uphold that freedom. It's past time we put an end to the dirty politics of fear-mongering.
I realize no one wants to believe that racism, in particular, is still so widespread, but frankly I think it remains America's ugly secret. I actually received a racist joke in an email this summer about Obama becoming president. And that certainly was not an isolated incident. I think this kind of thing is happening all across America out of the public eye. I'm not sure how many people realize that some Americans, perhaps a large number, actually believe the rumor that Obama is a secretly practicing Muslim. [Aside: The notion that being Muslim should exclude him from the Presidency is certainly rife with bigotry in and of itself, but I understand Americans aren't ready to elect a non-Christian President--What is so ridiculous is that in this election it should be a non-issue because Obama is Christian!) The misinformation will continue to spread like wildfire out of the spotlight if people like me with a foot in both worlds don't stand up and say something. While I'm still not comfortable talking about politics face-to-face, the least I can do is share my perspective in writing.
So why am I a Democrat?
In a nutshell, I want my children to grow up in a society that truly embraces and celebrates diversity and values ALL people - rich or poor, white or Hispanic, heterosexual or homosexual, Christian or agnostic, healthy or sick, male or female, American-born or immigrant. I want my biracial son and Asian daughter to have the same opportunities as the white child I'm carrying and my daughters to have the same opportunities as my son. I don't want my children to face discrimination or racism or bigotry of any kind, and it horrifies me to know that based on experiences shared by minorities all over this country that it will almost definitely happen at some point in their lives. We've come a long way, but we still have a mountain of hurdles to cross and hurts to heal in this great land of ours, and in my lifetime it's been the Democrats that have taken on the hard work of change to create a more tolerant, just society.
From my perspective, the Republicans have long stood for the status quo, against positive change and the natural evolutionary course of things. The status quo is wrong for my family, and it's wrong for our country, which was founded on the principles of tolerance, equality and justice for all, along with the promise of a better tomorrow. We CAN do better for everyone, whether on the issues of healthcare, tax relief, education, housing, jobs, the plight of women and of veterans, or assistance for rural communities, just to name a few. That's what Barack Obama believes, and I know he will work for ALL Americans. He will strengthen and unite us, and we will be a better people as a result.
Furthermore, I'm a Democrat because I believe environmental issues, from global climate change to land conservation, must be top priority. I've been passing along information about our environmental perils for a very long time. This is another issue most Republicans just don't seem to get and some actually deny, even though "green speak" is now commonplace in the media, in the marketplace, in the scientific community, in schools, in churches, all over America and throughout the world. The actions of many Republican leaders on the environment go beyond reckless in their efforts to back corporate America. Once again the status quo is at play--Let's not upset the apple cart for God's sake, even if our very way of life is at stake! (Sarcasm intended.)
There are many reasons I’m a Democrat, but for me equality and the environment (which are obviously incredibly broad and touch on so many issues) are the hot-button ones, and I know Barack Obama has the right plan to get us back on track. I keep hearing Obama detractors say he talks about change, but doesn't have a plan. That's just not true. Please read for yourself at www.barackobama.com. This man is super smart (I think we all know that matters by now, right?), and he knows what he's doing. My husband recently said, "I don't want someone in the White House who is just like me - I want someone smarter!" We both believe Barack Obama will be one of the best Presidents this country and the world have ever seen.
If you don't understand the issues and are leaning toward voting Republican simply because you or your family or your friends always have, or because you've fallen prey to the fear-mongering, I urge you to educate yourself and have the courage to break away from the status quo. If you educate yourself, and you still believe John McCain will make a better President, then vote as you will. I can't argue if you've done your homework, and I understand that some people will support the Republican Party no matter what. But if you don't read something that's actually true before November, then please, for the sake of our country, especially our children, PLEASE stay home on election day.
Thank you.
Comments