Skip to main content

Almost Normal

We had our follow-up appointment yesterday with the reproductive endocrinologist to discuss the test results from last month, and we got really good news overall. One of my hormone levels is a little high, but all the other tests came back normal. We are really lucky. Both my dear doctor friend Meghan and my doctor are optimistic about our chances of conceiving again. We are of course quite relieved to hear this, especially in light of our growing timeline for Noelle (it's looking like fall of 2009 at this point) and the seemingly impossible task of obtaining our fostering license.

The latest news in foster land is that I got an email from our licensing worker last week, one week after she said I'd have the license (glad I didn't hold my breath!), and she had figured out that our paperwork was now being held up because the old background check form was used instead of the new one. "Excuse me?" I wanted to say - "You're preventing a child from having a home because of a silly change in form that probably happened months after we had the background checks done?!" Of course I didn't say any of that. It seems this woman is barely keeping her head above water, and I'm sure she hears these kinds of complaints from people like me all the time. I simply thanked her. Unfortunately, she once again made a promise she hasn't kept - she said we'd have our license by the end of the week. Friday came and went and still no license. I emailed her Monday to follow up. No reply yet. If I thought contacting her supervisor would help, I'd do it. But the truth is that she alone is not the problem - it's the entire system.

I admit we're having some doubts about all of this now. If it's this difficult to deal with the foster care system before you're even a foster parent, what must it be like for foster families, who have to deal with multiple caseworkers and court appearances and meetings with the birth parents. We weren't concerned about any of this until we realized what a mess things are. It's hard to believe at this point that we could trust any part of the process to go right.

Having said all of that, if I got the call next week I'd do it in a heartbeat. So we'll just continue to wait and see - wait and see. This is our new normal.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I am thinking of you always! So glad your appt. went so well and things are ok. Thanks for always keeping us informed! I love you! Have a great Thanksgiving!

rach

Popular posts from this blog

One Year Ago Today...

The most amazing thing happened on this date one year ago - our son found his way to us. cc, we celebrate you today and every day. You are an incredible gift, and we love you with our whole hearts. Thank you for the immense joy you have brought to our lives just in your first year of life. We feel so lucky to be your parents, and we look forward to all that is to come for our family. cc celebrated his first birthday last Tuesday, and we had a super fun party for him on Sunday. We had a birthday cake decorated with a puppy dog and balloons from Whole Foods that was beautiful and delicious, and we had 50 balloons that provided quite a bit of excitement for the kids. Those in attendance were all the little ones from his neighborhood play group, some of our dearest friends and their children, all the grands, several aunts and uncles, and cousins Savannah, Byers and Stacy. We took lots of pictures and video (who knows when it will all be downloaded and organized) and made some great ...

Moving Right Along

I have several pieces of very happy news: First of all, we are getting closer and closer to becoming cc's forever family. Recently our social worker said for the first time that we are being considered for his permanent placement. Hooray!!!!!! Chris and I squeezed each other's hand so hard when we heard this. What a relief. We're almost there, cc! Another exciting turn of events is that cc has begun sleeping through the night recently. He doesn't do it every night, but if he wakes up it's around 4am after having been asleep since about 7pm, and so we've gotten some good solid sleep by this point. If he wakes up before 5:30am, we're able to give him a bottle and then he'll go back down until 7am or so. If he wakes up around 5:30, he's often up for a couple of hours. So I actually can't decide which I prefer. I'm not exactly a morning person, though having a baby certainly forces you to try to be one. Either way, he's doing so we...

Springtime Babies

Posting pix is all I have time for these days! Hope you enjoy... (Note regarding a previous post: To go private, I have to enter the email addresses of everyone who wants to continue viewing the blog. Until I can find the time to do it I'm just going to upload pix of cc that preserve his identity in keeping with the foster care regulations. We are well on our way to adoption, but it could take quite a bit longer simply because of paperwork backlogs, and I would certainly not want to jeopardize anything. In the meantime if you haven't already let me know, please email me or post a comment if you'd like to maintain access to the blog. Thanks!) Happy Girl Strawberry Pickin' Easter Bonnet A Very Good Nana