Skip to main content

When Mourning Comes

I've got that uneasy feeling again. It tends to show up when least expected.

I found out from Chris upon returning from my weekend with family that he has to have his fingerprints redone for our foster parent certification. They must have gotten lost, the licensing worker has informed us -- it's been two months since we had them done and a month since our paperwork should have gone to the state for approval. What the heck??!??!? Did it really take two months to figure this out??? And how did they get lost anyway??? We literally got them done 2 minutes apart, and somehow mine showed up within days at our licensing worker's office, and Chris' never arrived, yet no one thought to check into this until we basically forced the issue. GEEEZZZZ!!!!!!

I realize it's not such a big deal for Chris to go downtown and be fingerprinted again, but it's just ONE MORE THING in an ever-growing mountain of delays to parenthood. Couldn't we get a break just once? After two miscarriages and a hellacious adoption wait that may turn into YEARS, couldn't this foster parent licensing process at least go smoothly? Furthermore, isn't it absolutely absurd that we've been approved by the federal goverment to adopt internationally, but we have to wait on the state to approve us to foster? We've already been fingerprinted by the FBI - one would think that would suffice! And to think that there could be a child coming into foster care right now that needs a home, which we could provide, but likely won't be able to do so for another month or more....I'm feeling like I want to say some bad words, which I rarely do publicly, so it's a pretty good indication of the unhappy state I'm in right now. !@#!$#$%#%@#!%!@#%!#$%!!!!!!!!!!

OK, I feel a little better. Sorry for the rant, but sometimes you gotta do it.

Tonight I visited some infertility blogs. I'm not even sure how I started finding them, but once you discover the first one, it's like uncovering an ant hill. I'm sorry to say they're everywhere - so many childless people who long to be parents, just like us, some of whom are adopting, others of whom are doing everything under the sun to try to get pregnant. It really helps to have a sense of community, albeit with people you don't know and probably will never meet - just reading about similar experiences and feelings helps. No one has diagnosed me as the "i" word, but at this point I'm not sure the grieving process would be much different.

I have an appointment with a reproductive endocrinologist next month. I feel good about the doctor, who was recommended by a friend who is the same kind of doctor in another state, but I don't feel very good about trying to figure out what has gone wrong with my pregnancies/what could go wrong in the future. Everything I've read emphasizes how little is known about miscarriage and that testing may not reveal anything at all. So why am I doing it? I guess it just feels like the right thing to do.

Based on recent conversations, it seems some -perhaps many- people who know us don't understand why we're not trying to conceive again with the way the adoption timeline keeps growing. After all, the "one year between kids" rule probably wouldn't be an issue at this point. We have our reasons for waiting - fear of more loss being one. And really, isn't that enough? I've read about people who have had more miscarriages than me and are still trying. I just can't imagine. I guess they are stronger than I am. At least we know with some degree of certainty that we're well on our way to parenthood, even if it's taking longer than expected, and even if every month that goes by triggers more feelings of loss.

Yes, there is sadness - for empty picture frames and emptier arms. There is also enormous hope and profound love for our children-to-be. Our faith waivers at times like these, but it's always there.

Despite my sadness, I know how lucky I am on so many levels. I spent this past weekend with my precious nephews and nieces - playing and laughing with them, holding and hugging them, wiping away tears. I am grateful for the time I've had with them as Aunt Kat - not yet mama to anyone. I've been able to open my whole heart to them, even sharing in unexpected moments of tender sorrow. One such instance happened yesterday:

Ben wanted to go to the park with his cousins, but he didn't want to leave his dad to go, and that was the only option. To an adult, this would be a simple, routine choice, but not to a child. I could see how much pain he was in - after all, he has a brand new sister that has turned his world upside down, and he is very attached to his parents - the tears welled up in me. I don't know what I would have done had I been the parent. Mark, Ben's dad, made the difficult, but very wise decision to make him go - to suffer a little while so he could learn that everything would be OK, fun actually. Ben stopped crying pretty soon after my sister Rachel drove away, and he had an absolute blast at the park.

Children remind you that life is full of hurts, but pretty soon the sun comes out and there is joy again.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Oh Kathryn, my heart just breaks for you and Chris! I am so sorry about the whole fingerprinting thing...I can only imagine how upset you were to find that out. No one will ever understand how you are feeling right now, but just know that there are a lot of us who will listen! I just know you guys are going to be such great parents one day and be so compassionate about it! Your children will be so loved...more than most! I love you with all of my heart and if I could take away some of your pain, I would! I am here if you ever need to talk!

rach
Anonymous said…
Thank you so much for sharing your story. You WILL be parents, and you will be awesome ones at that. I'm so sorry to hear about the fingerprinting mishap, but unfortunately not at all surprised. Amazing how inefficient this whole cluster*&$^ process is, huh?! That the FBI runs a FAR more thorough check, considering it's national, yet one at the state level also need be done?! We thought that was so hilarious because we had JUST moved to Colorado 1 month before ours were done - hardly enough time to commit a crime! Hahaha. Seriously though...
Thanks so much for your comments on my blog! Stick to your guns with that pediatrician. Let her know you are INTERVIEWING her. If she's too pushy for you, you'll know right away when you walk out that you got bullied, and you may need to interview another one. I'd tell her upfront that you are willing to listen to her too, but that you come with strong feelings on certain issues, like vaccinations. And ask her if she'd be willing to be flexible with you. Go with your gut and don't let yourself be bullied, especially if she is conservative and you're not comfortable with it. Let me know how it goes!

Popular posts from this blog

One Year Ago Today...

The most amazing thing happened on this date one year ago - our son found his way to us. cc, we celebrate you today and every day. You are an incredible gift, and we love you with our whole hearts. Thank you for the immense joy you have brought to our lives just in your first year of life. We feel so lucky to be your parents, and we look forward to all that is to come for our family. cc celebrated his first birthday last Tuesday, and we had a super fun party for him on Sunday. We had a birthday cake decorated with a puppy dog and balloons from Whole Foods that was beautiful and delicious, and we had 50 balloons that provided quite a bit of excitement for the kids. Those in attendance were all the little ones from his neighborhood play group, some of our dearest friends and their children, all the grands, several aunts and uncles, and cousins Savannah, Byers and Stacy. We took lots of pictures and video (who knows when it will all be downloaded and organized) and made some great ...

Moving Right Along

I have several pieces of very happy news: First of all, we are getting closer and closer to becoming cc's forever family. Recently our social worker said for the first time that we are being considered for his permanent placement. Hooray!!!!!! Chris and I squeezed each other's hand so hard when we heard this. What a relief. We're almost there, cc! Another exciting turn of events is that cc has begun sleeping through the night recently. He doesn't do it every night, but if he wakes up it's around 4am after having been asleep since about 7pm, and so we've gotten some good solid sleep by this point. If he wakes up before 5:30am, we're able to give him a bottle and then he'll go back down until 7am or so. If he wakes up around 5:30, he's often up for a couple of hours. So I actually can't decide which I prefer. I'm not exactly a morning person, though having a baby certainly forces you to try to be one. Either way, he's doing so we...

Final Countdown!

I'm now just over a week away from my due date, which is Valentine's Day. Miss Evan Rose will be here very soon! We feel ready, though we still need to do a few things like install her car seat. As of today I'm riding around with a towel in the seat in case my water breaks. I seem to be having a little trickling of amniotic fluid, which is exciting, but I guess it could be awhile yet before I actually go into labor. While I'm pretty uncomfortable, I'm enjoying these last days of pregnancy. We have prepared cc as best we can. How much can you really prepare an 11-month-old? We just give him lots of tlc (nothing different there) and his dada now sleeps with him every night on a twin mattress in his room. We figure we'll each sleep with a child for awhile. No biggie. We attempted forcing him to sleep alone a few months back, but it just didn't work. None of us were getting sleep, cc seemed traumatized, and we decided it just wasn't worth it. I r...